Foreign Entity Guide

Guide for Doing Business in Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome to the City of Kansas City, Missouri, a great place to do business. If you are already incorporated in another state and want to open a branch office or do work in Kansas City (MO), in order to obtain a business license with the City of Kansas City;

Register your business as a “Foreign Entity” with the State of Missouri.

You will need to provide a “certificate of good standing” from your incorporated state with your application.

Provide your Employer Identification Number (EIN)
Register Tax Accounts with the Missouri Department of Revenue

Register for Withholdings Tax and MO Corporate Income Tax (if a corporation) with the Missouri Department of Revenue, if the business has employees. (see transit employees)

Obtain a Zoning Clearance Letter

If you have a business address in Kansas City, Missouri, you will need to obtain a Zoning Clearance Letter from the City before you can receive a license to do business at that location.

Obtain any additional permits required.

Depending on the type of business, you may be required to obtain additional permits.

Certificate of Good Standing

Before getting started on your application. You must first obtain a “Certificate of Good Standing” from the Secretary of State in which your business is incorporated.

To register on the Missouri Secretary of State site you will need to create an account, log in and complete one of the following forms to register your business:

Obtain a Registered Agent

All foreign and domestic corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, and limited liability partnerships registered in Missouri must maintain a registered agent. The registered agent must have a Missouri address. The registered agent's business office must be identical to the entity's registered office.

Applications for Registration for a Foreign Entity

The forms to register as a foreign entity can be found on the Missouri Secretary of State's website.

Transient Employer and MO Corporate Income Tax

Out of state companies who temporarily transact any business in the state of Missouri are defined as transient employers and are required to register, file a bond, and remit withholding tax to the Missouri Department of Revenue.

Register for Withholding Tax (Transient Employer - Bond required) and Missouri Corporate Income Tax (if a corporation).Form 2643.

Should you have any questions pertaining to the Transient Employer License you may also contact their office by telephone at: (573) 751-0459.


Get a customized list of steps to start doing business in KCMO.