KCMO Business Registration Guide

A comprehensive source of information regarding processes and regulations involved in starting and maintaining a business.


This guide is intended to serve as a reference and in no way attempts to provide all the information necessary to start a business. Please obtain qualified legal, financial and risk management expertise to help you succeed.

Business Licensing and Registration Overview

Businesses are required to be registered and licensed in order to do business in Kansas City, Missouri unless State Law provides an exemption from licensing.

The following cards are for

Collect Documents and Meet Initial Requirements
Collect required documents including required documents for specific industries.
Apply for a Business License
Apply online or make an appointment to apply in person.
Meet Additional Requirements
Some industries may have additional requirements to be completed after obtaining a business license.

Step 1

Collect Documents and Meet Initial Requirements

New Businesses are required to meet the following requirements prior to the issuance of a business license. Proof of obtaining the following documents should accompany the initial request for a license. In addition to licensing businesses, this section also registers business for other taxes the city collects.

Additional Paperwork may be Required

Additional paperwork and/or requirements may be required depending on the type of business activity. To verify documents needed, email kcbizcare@kcmo.org or call (816) 513-2491.

For All Businesses

  • Missouri Secretary of State Filing

    Required for sole proprietorships and partnerships operating under a business name as well as limited liability companies (LLC), corporations, limited partnerships, non-profit organizations

  • Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN or EIN)

    Required of all incorporated businesses

  • Zoning Clearance

    Required of all new businesses with a Kansas City, Missouri address and existing businesses with a change in a Kansas City, Missouri address

For Specific Industries

  • Missouri Sales Tax Number (Retail Sales/Resellers)

    Required of all retail, food and businesses with employees in Missouri

  • Health Permit

    Required for all food industries

  • Workers Compensation (Proof of Insurance or Exemption)

    Required of construction companies

    • Workers Compensation Certificate of Insurance
    • Form MO-WC76 (Certificate of Insurer)
    • Form MO-WC65B (Exemption)

Get personalized help for your business today.

The KC BizCare Office has helped countless entrepreneurs navigate the business registration and licensing process and reach their business goals.

Get Help Now

Step 2

Apply for a Business License

All persons (sole proprietors, partnerships, and corporations) who conduct business in Kansas City, Mo., must obtain a business license for that activity. A license is valid for the calendar year in which it is issued. Business licenses expire on December 31 of each year. For more information about Kansas City, Missouri business licenses, please contact the Business License Section at (816) 513-1120.

Apply Online with QuickTax

Step 3

Meet Additional Requirements

Additional Requirements for Specific Industries

  • Healthy Homes Inspection Certificate

    Required for all residential rental properties

  • KCMO Police Clearance

    Required for all security guard services and private investigator businesses.

  • Regulated Industries Approval

    Required for all establishments serving liquor and other types of businesses (i.e. tire sales, cigarette sales, etc.) that are regulated by the City of KCMO.

  • Contractor Licensing

    Required of certain construction trades

    Certain construction-related trades work in the city requires that contractors hold one or more contractor licenses. The Permits Division administers contractor licensing and registration. The division is located on the fifth floor of City Hall and accepts walk-in customers or call (816) 513-1500 or fax (816) 513-1456.

  • Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

    Medical marijuana businesses seeking to operate within Kansas City must follow City Medical Marijuana Regulations defined by the City Ordinance.

  • Short-Term Rentals (AirBnB, VRBO, etc.)

    Each “dwelling unit” (a single-family house, one half of a duplex, or an individual apartment or condominium unit) offered for short term rental requires its own application and approval.