Obtain Required Permits and Registrations

Find out if your type of business has required permits and registrations.

Apply for Required City Permits and Registrations

What permits and registrations do my business need?

In addition to the additional paperwork and license required of certain businesses, various permits and registrations may be required of your business. 

Health Department Permits:

  • Health Permit: Required for all food industries. Health permits should be obtained through the Health Department directly by calling (816) 513-6008 or emailing health@kcmo.org
  • Food Permit: Required for all Mobile Units, Catering, Farmers Markets, and Similar Vendors.
  • Food Handler Training and a Food Handler Permit: Required for anyone that works directly with the preparation or cooking of food, or is a manager or supervisor of those preparing or cooking food.
  • Rental and Vacant Property Registration: Required for all residential rental properties. 

Regulated Industries: A Liquor License is required for all establishments selling or serving liquor in Kansas City, Missouri. 

Other Regulated Industries include:

  • Alcohol-related businesses such as taverns, package beverage stores, wholesalers, beer, wine, and liquor manufacturers, and catered/non-profit events with alcohol being served.
  • "Adult entertainment" businesses such as strip clubs, retail businesses selling pornographic or adult-oriented items, and their employees.
  • Vehicle-for-hire drivers and companies such as taxi cab, sightseeing, and livery companies.
  • Junkyards, metal recyclers, and waste tire haulers.
  • Day labor and short-term loan facilities.
  • Dance halls, haunted houses, skating rinks, billiard halls, carnivals, and other places of amusement or entertainment as specified by ordinance.

A Contractor License is required for certain construction-related trade work in the city.

A Workers Compensation Certificate of Insurance is required for construction companies with 5 or more employees. (From a Commercial Insurance Provider)

A KCMO Police Clearance is required for all security guard services and private investigator businesses.

A Permit for Animal Related Businesses is required for hobby kennels, hobby catteries, rescue kennels, pet shops, boarding stables, boarding kennels. (From KC Pet Project)

Do you need help navigating these permits and registrations?

If you need more help, or want to verify the permits and registrations your business needs, email kcbizcare@kcmo.org or call (816) 513-2491.