Prepare Your Business Location

Ensure any new construction or renovation related to your business location complies with local laws.

Obtain a Building Permit

What is a building permit?

Building permits are required for certain types of improvements. The City Planning and Development Department’s Development Services Division also issues permits for public improvements including sidewalks, driveways, storm and sanitary sewer construction, and connections and site disturbance.

Why is a building permit necessary?

If you are building an addition, constructing a new building, renovating, or remodeling an existing building or tenant space, a building permit will be required for your project. In some cases, rezoning may be required depending on whether the intended use is allowed in the zoning district in which your project is located.

How do I get a building permit?

Visit the Planning and Development Department to before purchasing a property or signing a lease to apply for permits and learn about:

  • Zoning
  • Certificate of Occupancy / Change of Use

Disclaimer: A zoning clearance and a certificate of occupancy are different items. You will need both, even though applying for a business license only requires zoning clearance.

Apply for a Fire Safety Inspection

What is a fire safety inspection?

Fire Safety inspections of commercial locations are required of all new businesses, and must also be carried out after changes in ownership. Annual reinspections are also required to keep your business compliant.

Why do I need a fire safety inspection?

The Fire Safety Inspection is an essential and necessary step for any business seeking a Health Permit or Liquor License. 

How do I request an inspection?

To request an inspection, call 816-513-4611 and leave a message, or visit a Kansas City Fire Department location to obtain an in-person form. 

The KC BizCare Office can assist you with Fire Inspection requests.

You will be asked to provide the following information in your application for a Fire Safety Inspection:

  • Request type: either New Construction or Change in Ownership (with the date of ownership change)
  • Date/Time of the request
  • New or Existing Business (existing business also requires Business License Number)
  • Business Address
  • Whether the address has a current Certificate of Occupancy (CICO-20xx-xxxxx) via Parcel Viewer
  • Type of Business: RD-100 (Business License)
  • Whether you are applying for a Health Permit or Liquor License
  • Business Name and Phone Number
  • Contact Name and Number
  • Email for Report/Billing
  • Expected Opening Date